Monday, June 24, 2013

Two at Once


















Paint is on the fly in my studio these days as I endeavour to complete the four panels for the mural by the end of the month… My watercolour is all wrapped in plastic for protection.  I think I am dreaming about finishing since all sorts of other commitments are filling my schedule, like a retreat next weekend… Sigh. I could use that little word more often I suppose, you know the one… Just two letters long, it packs such a punch! It also helps with prioritizing. Still, everything I said “yes” to is fun. And the work will get done, well in time. At the moment I am contemplating how many layers of different colour I will add to the horses. The more coloured layers there are the more alive their coats appear. That is, of course, trusting that I have everything else necessary in place, especially tonal values. I imagine the middle horse is black which means it will have more blue than red or orange. The others are different shades of brown, one more red than the other. This is all in my imagination for, indeed, my reference is black and white. I am thankful I can imagine flesh tones and the way cloth falls across knees and arms. Yes, I am changing what the people are wearing as well. I am so thankful as well for all the hours I put in drawing endless studies of drapery…. Nothing is ever wasted. Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment