Monday, October 7, 2013

Floor Space


Puddling requires horizontal space. In my studio space is scarce. I have resorted to the floor. At this stage of the game, creating is a very fun game, I am following the promptings of the spirit. The six panels I had previously prepared are now all covered with ink and drippings of various colours. What a mess. Part way through I looked at my floor and I remembered how when I first laid down the interlocking carpet tiles I had this fleeting desire to keep it in pristine condition… J It is not quite there yet but eventually as the paint accumulates I may consider framing it too. In the meantime I took up the first panel to dry and laid it on the table. I stepped back and realized the under layer of gold shone so brightly I could not see the patterning well enough to decide where to go next. It is now on my easel, which means I emptied some floor space so I can back up to view the image more clearly. Backing up from my work is essential. With every addition there is a reaction to it in the surrounding colours and shapes. Before continuing in any direction I consider the effect the new bit of paint has created. It is truly an explore, like discovering a path in the jungle. So much fun! Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment