Monday, February 24, 2014

Tissue Paper



Some paintings are bossier than others. I had an argument with a couple, well, more than a couple, recently about the choice of materials they called me to use. I kept explaining that I had a deadline to meet and I did not have time to fiddle. All to no avail. Over the years I have learned to listen to my paintings. They know better than I do about which media create the best results for a particular mood or message. If I panic and insist on having my own way, I usually give up at some point and begin again. The results are just not there. Resistance is futile…. Sigh. Several images have determined tissue paper to be the key ingredient. I love what tissue paper adds to a piece. The random textures and brilliant colour mixes cannot be duplicated. I love the results. Okay. Big deep breathes and I will use tissue paper to fill in the spaces. Negative spaces are the topic for next week! The trouble with tissue paper is that it is fiddly. Very. I use tweezers to pick up and manipulate the tiny morsels. I save all the little bits for fill in as I go along. I have found the torn edge sits better on the surface with its natural ragged form. Scissors are out. So drive me crazy! Yes, calm. Breathe. At the end of the day I am thankful I resisted my resistance. Live is so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment