Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Construction

For Larger Work


For Smaller Work
There is nothing more satisfying than the concretization of an idea. Especially if it works. I had no storage in my garage for my canvases and my completed paintings so I envisioned a unit something similar to the one in my former studio. To begin with I thought perhaps it does not need to be as large, after all two artists were using it. As I laid the two by fours on the floor I realized that the four foot lengths did not feel right. Listening to the Spirit within I suggested six feet. Nope… O.K. Eight feet. That means I would buy more lumber. Taking a guesstimate I came home with five two by fours and five one by twos. With the scrap I already had I cut the appropriate lengths for the supports above the cooler/cupboard and made the main storage area six feet high. I was very glad I had bought some two inch screws too. The four and three inch size were definitely overkill when working with the half inch of the one by twos. Yes. A one by two is really a half by one and a half. A two by four is really one and a half by three and a half. It did not used to be that way. Among the one by twos there was a very special example of how important it is to pick out one’s own lumber…. It actually twisted in five different directions. I used it too where I did not need to be particularly accurate (it is screwed into the ceiling to support the crossbeams). I am not a gifted carpenter but I am very thankful for the skills I do possess. They allow me the freedom to do as I please without the expense of hiring someone with more knowledge. In any case, my storage unit is standing and strong awaiting its precious cargo. One more step in the process done. Let’s celebrate!

No comments:

Post a Comment