Monday, March 28, 2011

Splash/plouf

So this is the third in the triplet. I will post the one in the middle next time. I like doing things differently. It drives the analysts around me mad. Again this image is a detail from the original photo in the opposite corner and all about light. As I progress in a painting it occurs on occasion that I discover something visually exciting that I had not planned. So it is with the trees in this piece. In the forest we can get away with anything…. The light filters through in unexpected places. The photograph gets left behind. I watched as the patterns formed; as I lay in the tissue paper shapes it moved me to awe. It was the light again, the contrast of dark branches against glowing sky. Purples against gold. Delicious. As I moved down the canvas I bumped into another reaction, not nearly so positive. There was something missing. Too much contrast among the trees and not enough among the rocks. Out came the paint as I toned down the bright cadmium yellows in the bushes and intensified them on the rocks. How about some burnt orange? Oh, yes! The sun is shining.

Splash

The paradox is:
power is in surrender.
Let us join forces.

Plouf

Si une goutte se joint
aux autres elle devient plus 
jusqu’à l’océan.
(Ps 111: 7-10)

No comments:

Post a Comment